Home insurance - Add contents insurance

How does Resolver work?

Explains your rights to you

You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.

Helps you prepare your emails

We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.

Creates a case file for you

Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.

Lets you record all your communications

One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.

Lets you know when to escalate your complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.

Based on resolver's experience to date, it should be easy to either add contents insurance to a home insurance policy or to extend the scope of the contents insurance of a home insurance policy.

To add contents insurance to a home insurance policy you should simply contact your home insurer in the usual way. Almost all home insurers also offer contents insurance, and should be happy to extend your cover to include contents insurance. This will increase your premiums, but it may still be cheaper to purchase both contents insurance and home insurance from the same supplier.

You can easily extend the scope of your contents insurance for your quotation by contacting your insurer in your usual way or by resolver. You can often extend your policy to provide additional cover - for an extra premium. The most common extensions include:
  • Accidental damage cover, so you would be insured if, for example, you accidentally knocked over a valuable ornament while you were doing the dusting.
  • Accidental loss or damage cover for personal possessions that you take out of the home, such as jewellery, cameras and mobile phones.
There is normally a limit on the value of any one item. So, if your camera is stolen, the policy might pay out only £500, even if it is worth £1000. You might also have to specify the items that you want to cover in this section. If you have a query about adding contents to your policy, resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing, and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.

If you cannot resolve your issue you cannot raise your case to the Ombudsman until 8 weeks after you have first raised your complaint with your supplier, or you have received a ‘letter of deadlock’ from the company stating that they cannot resolve the issue as you have asked. Your complaint must also not be older than 9 months. For an accurate decision by the Ombudsman you should provide a detailed file of your communications and supporting documentation. In addition make sure you explain what you want as an outcome as this will help assess your case.

Find the best rights for you

We have 4,063 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,067 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Add contents insurance

Resolver covers the issue Add Contents Insurance for 64 companies and organisations: