Planning permission - Staff conduct - Incorrect outcome

How does Resolver work?

Explains your rights to you

You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.

Helps you prepare your emails

We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.

Creates a case file for you

Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.

Lets you record all your communications

One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.

Lets you know when to escalate your complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.

If an issue that you have raised has not been addressed or resolved, you have the right to make a complaint. If the issue relates to the conduct of staff, the decision-making process not being correctly followed or the council not following the correct procedure, you can raise your complaint via Resolver.

You should know
  • If your issue relates to a planning application outcome, you should direct it to the Planning Inspectorate
  • The Local Government Ombudsman is there to assist in issues relating to (for example) the conduct of staff, the way that an issue was dealt with, or the implementation of the law, such as inaccurate information about procedures
  • You must give the local authority up to 12 weeks to resolve your issue before escalating the case to the ombudsman 
  • If your issue concerns the outcome of a planning application, you should raise it under planning appeals


What if the issue is not addressed?

If you feel that the issue of a planning-application breach has not been dealt with correctly by your council, you have the right to challenge the decision with the Local Government Ombudsman. This only relates to issues involving policies and the way your case was handled; it does not apply if you do not agree with the outcome.

The ombudsman can get involved with your case when the complaint has been open for more than 12 weeks; it is there as the last resort.

It will usually investigate complaints where the evidence suggests that there has been a significant breach of planning control that directly affects you, and where your complaint is about the way the council has dealt with (or failed to deal with) the matter.

The Local Government Ombudsman will independently assess your complaint for free, and give a decision that is binding on your council.

How long do I have to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman?

You have 12 months from when you realise that there is an issue.

What will the Local Government Ombudsman look for?

When you escalate an issue to the Local Government Ombudsman, it will consider whether the council has done something wrong in the way that it went about dealing with a report of a planning breach. For example, the council might have:

  • Unreasonably delayed assessing whether there is a breach of planning control;
  • Unreasonably delayed deciding how serious the breach is, and what action is appropriate;
  • Unreasonably delayed taking enforcement action where it accepts that it is justified;
  • Failed to keep proper records, such as on site visits;
  • Failed to have a written policy on planning enforcement, or failed to take its policies into account when deciding what action to proceed with;
  • Failed to tell the parties involved of its decision, or to keep them informed of progress;
  • Or failed to liaise properly with other departments, such as environmental health or building control.

Find the best rights for you

We have 3,696 pages of rights advice for you covering 6,250 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Incorrect outcome

Resolver covers the issue Incorrect Outcome for 102 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j   k  l  m  n  o  p   q   r  s  t  u   v   w  x   y   z