Courts and Tribunals - I was not told what I needed to do

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

If you do not feel that HM Courts & Tribunals Service told you something that was important in your case, then you should raise a complaint through Resolver. Please ensure you provide full details of the issue was and what the impact was. Please note that HM Courts & Tribunals Services staff are able to explain processes but are not able to give legal advice. You can seek impartial advice from any Citizens Advice office. You can also contact Civil Legal Advice for help locating appropriate advisory services in your local area. Civil Legal Advice can be contacted by telephone on 0345 345 4345.

You should know

HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) is responsible for the administration of courts and tribunals in England and Wales. It is also responsible for non-devolved tribunals in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

  • Resolver is working with HMCTS to make it easier for consumers to raise and resolve complaints with HMCTS
  • This service is free and Resolver is independent of HMCTS
  • You can raise cases in English and Welsh. During the beta period, the service will only be available in English
  • Once you raise a case, it will be sent to the court, tribunal or administration centre where this issue arose
  • If the issue is then not addressed, you have the right to have your case independently reviewed by a senior manager
  • If you are still not satisfied, your case will be escalated to the Customer Investigations Team for a final assessment

You have the right to raise complaints about your case and your experiences with HMCTS. You should be aware that HMCTS is able to address issues and concerns over the administration of your case or the facilities available.

Issues HMCTS cannot assist with

HMCTS cannot assist with complaints about the outcome of a case. Judges are independent and you may want to consider independent legal advice about appealing a decision you disagree with.

Judicial behaviour

If you want to complain about the way a tribunal judge or panel member, a court judge or magistrate behaved towards you, you must make your complaint to the relevant office within three months from when this happened.

  • For District Judges in magistrates’ courts or judges in other courts, please see
  • For magistrates contact the court for the local advisory committee details
  • For tribunals contact the tribunal and they will provide the right way to raise a complaint


You can raise a case with a court or tribunal by letter or using Resolver. Resolver is a free tool to help support you in raising and resolving your issue.

Submitting an issue

When you submit an issue to us about a court, tribunal or business centre, the case will be sent to that location for review. Normally, this will be carried out by staff at this location, who will assess your case. You should receive a response within 10 working days.

Reviewing the decision

If you are not satisfied with the proposed resolution, you can ask for a review. When asking for a review, please explain the reasons why you are not satisified. In the review, the outcome will be assessed by a senior manager in the local team. They will consider what your issue is and the response received. You should have a response within 10 working days.


The final stage in the HMCTS complaints process is the Customer Investigations Team. They are a centralised team that will handle the exceptional cases that cannot be resolved. They will then have a final look at your case and will respond back within 15 working days.

Your MP

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, you have the right for the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman to assess your case. If you wish to do this, you will need to contact your local MP or phone 020 7219 4272. The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman will be able to look at your case and provide an independent review. The PHSO is an independent organisation, which investigates complaints where a customer thinks they have been treated unfairly or received poor service from a government department.

If you would like more information about the work of the PHSO, you can call their office on 0345 015 4033, email or visit the website at

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,923 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver