Courts and Tribunals - Problem with my arrest or detention

How does Resolver work?

Explains your rights to you

You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.

Helps you prepare your emails

We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.

Creates a case file for you

Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.

Lets you record all your communications

One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.

Lets you know when to escalate your complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.

If you feel there has been a problem with your arrest or detention, you should raise a complaint. Please ensure when you raise the issue that you explain all the key facts in your situation and please include the time and dates of the events as best you can. Your case will then be assessed.

You should know

HM Courts & Tribunals Service (HMCTS) is responsible for the administration of courts and tribunals in England and Wales. It is also responsible for non-devolved tribunals in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

  • Resolver is working with HMCTS to make it easier for consumers to raise and resolve complaints with HMCTS
  • This service is free and Resolver is independent of HMCTS
  • You can raise cases in English and Welsh. During the beta period, the service will only be available in English
  • Once you raise a case, it will be sent to the court, tribunal or administration centre where this issue arose
  • If the issue is then not addressed, you have the right to have your case independently reviewed by a senior manager
  • If you are still not satisfied, your case will be escalated to the Customer Investigations Team for a final assessment

You have the right to raise complaints about your case and your experiences with HMCTS. You should be aware that HMCTS is able to address issues and concerns over the administration of your case or the facilities available.

Issues HMCTS cannot assist with

HMCTS cannot assist with complaints about the outcome of a case. Judges are independent and you may want to consider independent legal advice about appealing a decision you disagree with.

Judicial behaviour

If you want to complain about the way a tribunal judge or panel member, a court judge or magistrate behaved towards you, you must make your complaint to the relevant office within three months from when this happened.

  • For District Judges in magistrates’ courts or judges in other courts, please see
  • For magistrates contact the court for the local advisory committee details
  • For tribunals contact the tribunal and they will provide the right way to raise a complaint


You can raise a case with a court or tribunal by letter or using Resolver. Resolver is a free tool to help support you in raising and resolving your issue.

Submitting an issue

When you submit an issue to us about a court, tribunal or business centre, the case will be sent to that location for review. Normally, this will be carried out by staff at this location, who will assess your case. You should receive a response within 10 working days.

Reviewing the decision

If you are not satisfied with the proposed resolution, you can ask for a review. When asking for a review, please explain the reasons why you are not satisified. In the review, the outcome will be assessed by a senior manager in the local team. They will consider what your issue is and the response received. You should have a response within 10 working days.


The final stage in the HMCTS complaints process is the Customer Investigations Team. They are a centralised team that will handle the exceptional cases that cannot be resolved. They will then have a final look at your case and will respond back within 15 working days.

Your MP

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome, you have the right for the Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman to assess your case. If you wish to do this, you will need to contact your local MP or phone 020 7219 4272. The Parliamentary & Health Service Ombudsman will be able to look at your case and provide an independent review. The PHSO is an independent organisation, which investigates complaints where a customer thinks they have been treated unfairly or received poor service from a government department.

If you would like more information about the work of the PHSO, you can call their office on 0345 015 4033, email or visit the website at

Find the best rights for you

We have 4,995 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,445 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver