Ukraine is in crisis, please donate right now if you can.

Green deal - I want to move but owe money

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on our experience to date, if you want to move suppliers but owe money, resolver recommends that you contact your supplier, and ask their advice as soon as possible. Keep a note of who you speak to and the outcome of your conversation or email. Rules on switching energy providers when you owe money to your current supplier are different depending on whether or not you have a prepayment meter. If you do, you can switch and transfer debts up to £500 to your new supplier.

You will have to carry on using the prepayment meter at least until your debt is paid off. However, you will be able to shop around for a cheaper tariff. If you are not on a prepayment meter and you owe money to an energy supplier, they can stop you from switching to another supplier until your debt is paid off. This is known as being debt-blocked. However, if it is your energy supplier’s fault that you are in debt, for example because they read your meter wrongly, then they cannot stop you from switching, but you will still have to pay back the debt.

Resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing and we can assist you in all aspects of your complaint; formulating letters, recording dialogues, and reminding you when and who to escalate to.
There is a Code of Practice which sets out requirements designed to ensure that all Green Deal Participants and Certification Bodies:

• operate fairly and transparently;
• deliver good customer service;
• have appropriate levels of training;
• and provide appropriate redress mechanisms for customers.

Green Deal Participants and Certification Bodies must ensure that a copy of this Code of Practice is made available, free of charge, to anyone who requests it. This should help you to understand your specific rights if something goes wrong.

A copy can be found here:

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,219 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,101 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with I want to move but owe money

Resolver covers the issue I Want To Move But Owe Money for 0 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z