Housing - Council tax is too high

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Valuation bands in England and Scotland are based on property values on 1 April 1991, not what a property is worth today. Valuation bands in Wales are based on property values on 1 April 2003. You can challenge your Council Tax band if you think it’s wrong, but you should continue to pay your Council Tax bill while you do this.

  • Ask the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) to check your Council Tax band.
  • Make a formal challenge to the VOA but you should check you are enligible to do this before you do it.

Ask the Valuation Office to check your banding

Contact the VOA by phone if you think your band is wrong, eg because similar properties in your street are in a different band. They’ll tell you how your Council Tax band has been worked out. If they agree your band is wrong, they’ll put it right. Your council will then update your Council Tax bill. This service is free.

Valuation Office Agency

Telephone: 0300 0501 501 Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm

You can’t appeal against this decision, but in some cases you may be able to make a formal challenge against your banding (called a ‘proposal’).

How long it takes

You’ll get a decision from the VOA within 4 months.

They’ll either: change your Council Tax band - your local council will revise your bill and adjust your payments tell you why your band can’t be changed

If you disagree with the VOA’s decision In England, if you make a formal challenge and disagree with the VOA’s decision, you can appeal to the independent Valuation Tribunal. You must appeal within 3 months of getting the VOA’s decision.

The tribunal is free and can make the VOA re-examine your challenge.

In Wales, if you and the VOA can’t agree, your challenge will be heard by a local Valuation Tribunal. If the tribunal agrees with you, the VOA will change your band and the council will update your bill.

We have 5,216 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,115 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Council tax is too high

Resolver covers the issue Council Tax Is Too High for 441 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j   k  l  m  n  o  p  q   r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y   z