MPs - Disagree with policy

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Constituents often approach their MP with an issue, as they are unsure who else could help them. An MP’s role is to provide assistance and advice. A local councillor will usually attend their constituency surgeries to assist those constituents whose problems are connected with services provided by local authorities such as dustbins, housing repairs or simply to help ensure your voice is heard.

If you disagree with any European policies or directives, which have a direct impact on the UK, you should discuss your concerns with your MP during a constituency surgery. Your MP will be able to inform you about the policies in greater detail and advise whether or not any action is possible.

Key role of MP

An MP’s key role is to help only with matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible. Problems often arise with work carried out by central government departments. Your MP will be able to help you with areas such as tax problems involving the Inland Revenue and Customs and Excise Departments (but not areas such as council tax, which is paid to your local authority); problems dealt with by the Department of Health such as hospitals and the National Health Service; problems dealt with by the Department of Social Security such as benefits, pensions and National Insurance (but not problems with the social services department of your local authority); problems dealt with by the Home Office such as immigration and matters like school closures and grants, which are dealt with by the Department for Education and Employment (but not day to day problems involving schools, which are run by their governors and your local education authority).

What your MP cannot help with

Your MP is not able to help you with private disputes involving other individuals or companies who have sold you faulty goods. MPs also cannot interfere with decisions made by the courts.

You should know

If you are thinking about contacting your MP, you should first consider if he / she is the right option. There may be others who could be of more direct help than your MP. For example, if you have a complaint about your local council services, please approach your local councillor in the first instance. Otherwise, the Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to assist you with issues of a more general nature.

Your MP has a responsibility to:

Once your MP is elected, it is their responsibility to represent all the people of their constituency in Parliament, regardless of political affiliation. Your MP is there to assist you regarding all matters for which Parliament or central government is responsible.

What next

If your issue does require your MP’s involvement, he/she can utilise a number of methods to try and resolve the issue:

  • A letter from your MP to the relevant department or person can often lead to a solution;
  • Escalate even further by writing to the Minister involved;
  • Make an appointment to meet with the Minister in person.

Many problems can be resolved using one of the above-mentioned methods. Sometimes there is little, if anything, that the Minister can do and you may be given an unsatisfactory answer. If the issue has been dealt with using the appropriate channels and within acceptable timeframes, then there will be little you can do. However, if procedures have not been followed or there have been unacceptable delays, your MP can escalate the case to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. It is important to note that the Ombudsman can only be approached via your MP. However, they do have a website, which provides information on making a complaint:

Your local Council complaints

The Commissioner for Local Administration (Local Government Ombudsman) is responsible for dealing with possible maladministration in local government matters with the exceptions of parking and planning. Your local council must be given the opportunity to deal with the complaint in the first instance, generally by following their internal complaints procedures, assuming the procedures are in place. If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, you can write to the Local Government Ombudsman after 12 weeks from officially raising a complaint or ask a councillor to write to the Government Ombudsman on your behalf. Please note that you can raise a case against your local council through resolver for free.

What if you are not satisfied with your MP’s response?

There are no formal complaints procedures is you are dissatisfied with the service provided by your MP. resolver has built a complaints process to help you out and if you are not satisfied you can escalate your case to the Chief Whip of your MP’s party. If the issue is still not resolved you can escalate your case to the Head of the Party.

resolver will help

resolver will help you submit your issue to your MP for free, remind you what to do and when and record all communications.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,873 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Disagree with policy

Resolver covers the issue Disagree With Policy for 650 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z