What to do beyond Resolver

Taken your complaint as far as you can using the Resolver system? Here are a few of the next possible steps

Lost Complainer

Package it up

If you've reached the end of the Resolver process with your complaint, you'll still be able to use our system to help you out. All you need to do is hit the 'download case file' button. This packages up all your correspondence with the company (and any regulators), as well as any additional documents you uploaded to your case file, into a single file. You can then use this for reference if you choose to take your case further.

Your options

Alternative Dispute Resolution 

When the Consumer Rights Act 2015 came into force in October 2015, it introduced a new system to help businesses and consumers when they cannot resolve issues directly with one another. This will be via a system of certified third-party mediators, called Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) providers.

Once an internal complaint process is exhausted, businesses must give the consumer details of a certified ADR provider and tell the consumer if they are willing to use them.

The Alternative Dispute Resolution Directive has been a catalyst for a number of new ‘ombudsmen' appearing either as specialists for their sector or generalist providers. The term ombudsman is starting to be used far more loosely, and it is causing the landscape to become more complex for the consumer.

You can only go to one of these ombudsmen or ADR providers when an issue cannot be resolved. 

Take it to court 

One of your options is to take your dispute to court. Your Resolver case file should be very helpful if you choose to take this route. Please note, though, that we strongly recommend seeking professional legal advice. Citizens Advice is a good place to begin this process.

Money Claim Online

Under certain circumstances, you may be able to use Money Claim Online to make a claim against a person or organisation that owes you money.

You can normally make a claim:

  • for a fixed sum under £100,000
  • against no more than two people or organisations.

You can use the service from anywhere in the UK, but only against someone with an address in England or Wales.

You must be 18 or over to make a claim.

You can’t use the service to:

  • make a claim against a government department or agency, for example HMRC or DVLA;
  • get compensation for an accident or injury;
  • get your tenancy deposit back from your landlord.

Small Claims Court

If there is no regulator in the sector where the company you have a grievance with operates, one option is to seek compensation through the Small Claims Court using the Government online court Money Claim OnLine (MCOL).

Claims management company

These will take between 15% and 30% of your compensation to cover their costs and will manage your case for you. They may not take your case, however, as they tend to focus on low-effort cases. Our recommendation is to try to claim yourself to begin with - either directly or through Resolver - before you use a claims management company.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver