Digital content - Problem closing account

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Make sure that you have paid any outstanding balance in full (if you cancel an account with debts, you may be charged a fee) and email the trader asking them to cancel your account. You should keep any emails that you send or receive, and ensure that the company agrees to send you a letter or email of confirmation of closure.

If you have any problems closing your account, you can raise a complaint about the company via Resolver.

You should know

Most of your rights come from the Consumer Rights Act and the Consumer Contracts Regulations.

The Consumer Rights Act sets out the way you should expect to be treated by a company when you buy digital goods, content or services.

This includes most video downloads, streaming services and ebooks.

The rest of your rights come from the Consumer Contract Regulations. These set out what you should expect from a contract for a service – and give you rules for cancelling a contract if it doesn’t deliver.

Taking things further

It can be tricky to know what to do when you can't resolve an issue with a company providing digital services. Generally speaking, it's best to try and escalate matters through their internal channels. Resolver will prompt you to escalate your case to the next level if necessary.

If you find that you're stuck paying for a service that you haven't received, you can consider contacting your bank to ask them to cancel your debit and issue a chargeback.

Unfortunately, the majority of companies offering digital content and services aren't members of an Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme – this means that if your problems persist, you may have to consider taking the matter to small claims court. You should always seek legal advice before taking a case to court. You can also consider contacting Citizens Advice for more information.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,216 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,113 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Problem closing account

Resolver covers the issue Problem Closing Account for 0 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z