Energy distributors - Planned loss of supply

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.


If you are without gas for more than 24 hours, you are entitled to compensation of £50 under the Gas Guaranteed Standards. You are also entitled to an extra £50 for every further 24 hours you are without gas – up to a total of £1000 (for domestic customers). Your supplier is obliged to tell you about your right to compensation and then pay you within 20 working days of your claim, either direct to you or through your supplier. Your gas transporter is the company that owns the gas pipes and infrastructure in your area. This may be different to your supplier. In the event that you do not receive notice of compensation then you should write to your gas transporter and set out what happened. 

Note that the right to compensation does not apply to planned gas outages of which you have been given at least 5 days notice by your gas transporter.



You should normally be given at least two days’ notice of an electricity cut off in advance. If you are not given two days’ notice of the planned power cut, you may be entitled to a compensation payment of £30.

If your supply has been cut off for three hours or more on at least four separate occasions in a year, you're due a compensation payment of £75.

If you think you are entitled to compensation, you should write to your regional electricity distributor within three months of getting your power back on. Your regional electricity distributor may not be the same as the company that supplies you with electricity.

You should know

Your energy distributor is responsible for managing the infrastructure that gets energy to your house. Complaints related to billing etc. should normally be directed to your energy company rather than the distributor.

We have 5,216 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,115 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver