In-store shopping - Faulty product

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Under the Consumer Rights Act, you are within your rights to demand a refund for any goods that are faulty or not as described. 

You have 30 days to return the item for a full refund. After this point, the retailer can offer you either a repair or a replacement product.

You aren’t entitled to a refund if you have purchased an item that was described as faulty when you bought it, or if you have damaged the faulty item yourself. Don’t try to repair the item yourself! This will prevent you from returning the item.

You should know
  • You should generally expect a response within a week.
  • If you don't get a response within this timeframe, follow up with another message!
  • If you can't find a resolution with a retailer, they should give you the details of a certified Alternative Dispute Resolution provider (if the retailer has signed up to one).
  • You have six years to take a claim for faulty goods to court. Be aware that after 6 months it becomes your responsibility to prove who is at fault.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and ombudsman services

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) providers are available to all businesses. They help when a dispute cannot be settled directly with the consumer.

These systems offer a quicker, cheaper way of resolving disputes than the courts.

If you can't resolve a matter directly with a business, they should give you an ADR providers details. They should let you know if they're willing to use the ADR for your issue.

Businesses don't have to use ADR unless they operate in a sector where the law says they have to.

The main ADRs for the retail sector are:

  • Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme for Retail (RetailADR)
  • and the Furniture Ombudsman

The Consumer Rights Act 2015

The Consumer Rights Act sets out rules for:

  • What should happen when something’s faulty
  • What should happen when services aren’t as described
  • What should happen if you sign up to an unfair contract.

Generally speaking, it gives you quite a wide range of protection whenever you buy goods or services.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

If you buy goods or services on your credit card, you may be protected under Section 75 if something goes wrong. Section 75 applies to goods bought on a credit card with a total value of between £100 and £30,000. If something goes wrong with your purchase, your credit provider is “jointly and severally liable” for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the seller.

This is especially useful in situations where the seller has gone bust! In these cases, you can approach your credit card company and let them know you’re making a claim under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Manufacturer’s Warranties

Many goods come with a warranty. If something goes wrong with your purchase, you can consider making a claim on the warranty. If successful, your purchase will be repaired or replaced free of charge.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,122 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,011 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Faulty product

Resolver covers the issue Faulty Product for 525 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z