Holiday parks - Site dirty

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

If the holiday park itself wasn’t what you expected, or the experience was below your expectations – such as your accommodation being dirty, or the local environment noisy – you should raise the issue immediately. You should expect the park’s quality to reflect its star rating and the cost of your holiday, but an issue such as this is unacceptable no matter what you’ve paid: formally raise the issue with the manager straight away.

You should know
  • These rights are for when you have booked a holiday park stay only, rather than when your stay has been purchased as part of a package.
  • If you have an issue, raise it immediately while you're at the holiday park to give the park a chance to sort it out.
  • If you are not satisfied with the response or the outcome, use resolver to raise your issue.
  • Always be fair and reasonable in your approach to the holiday park – focus on how to resolve the issue.
  • You might be able to claim against your credit card if you paid using that method.
  • If you booked via a travel agent or independent website, they are only liable if they made an incorrect booking or provided incorrect information.


Be reasonable

Holidays are a highlight of the year, and we can all build up our expectations. Before you complain, consider whether your complaint is reasonable. If you explained it to a friend, would they agree with you?
When you raise a case, remember to keep calm. It is important to clearly explain what your issue is, how you would like it dealt with and what resolution you are looking for.

What to expect

The most important part is to have your issue resolved. It is unlikely that you will be able to claim for loss of enjoyment, unless the situation was severe or your situation was a special occasion, such as a wedding.

Your rights

If you booked your accommodation in the UK, or via a UK-registered website, you have protection under the Supply of Services and Goods Act. This means that the holiday’s parks services and the park’s quality must be reasonable; services should be delivered with reasonable skill.
The key word in this is ‘reasonable’. What can be considered ‘reasonable’ is based on a number of factors, but the key one is what you paid for the experience. The higher the star rating, or the more you paid for the holiday, the higher your expectations of quality should be.

As described

The holiday park should have the facilities described; if they are not available, you have a reason to raise an issue.
If they are not what you expected, you should consider whether they are as described. Next, consider how critical the facilities are to your holiday and experience.
Remember that, if you think the experience means you wouldn’t use the company again in future, it is worth raising the issue: no responsible organisation wants to lose customers.

Keep a record

If you experience an issue, collate as much information as possible. A smartphone is a great way to do this: take photos or videos at the time as proof of the issue, as well as any receipts or records of money you had to spend.

If your issue is unresolved

If you cannot resolve the issue while you are staying at the holiday park, you should raise it within 28 days of returning home. When you contact the holiday park via resolver, aim to attach as much supporting information as possible (such as your invoice, photos and so on) to help clearly explain your issue to the holiday park.

Booked through a travel agent/website

If you booked through a travel agent or website, they were simply the agent for the holiday park and you should raise your issue with the park directly.
However, if you feel that the issue was caused by the website or travel agent, you should raise the issue with them. If your issue cannot be resolved and the travel agent is a member of ABTA, escalate the issue to ABTA.

Paid by credit card

If you paid by credit card – even if it was only the deposit – and you spent more than £100 on the card, you can make a claim against your credit card company: under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, the Credit Card company is jointly liable.

Is there an ombudsman?

In the case of holiday parks, there is no ombudsman to which you can take your problem for independent assessment.

What if the holiday park does not address your issue?

If your issue is not addressed then, as a final resort, you could consider mediation with the holiday park. There are a limited number of companies that offer mediation: they deliver an independent assessment and try to find a reasonable solution to your issue.
Alternatively, if the accommodation was booked with a park in the UK, or if the company is registered in the UK, you could take the holiday park to court. You can use Money Claims Online to register your case. Legal proceedings can be expensive and take a lot of time; however, raising a case can show the park you are serious, and you can cancel your case at any point.
If you booked at a holiday park in the European Union, and it remains unresolved after you have given the park time to address the issue via resolver, then the European Consumer Centre (in Basildon) can help you address your issue for free.
Whichever option you choose, if your case is unresolved you can export your case file from resolver. It will provide you with a copy of all communications and supporting information.


Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,925 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver