Money advice - Changing energy supplier

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver's experience to date, changing energy supplier to the one which offers the lowest tariff every twelve months can save you a significant amount of money! In order to do this simply find out what supplier and tariff it would be best to switch to (ways of doing so are set out below) and contact them asking to switch. You should bear in mind that some energy suppliers will lock you in for twelve month periods, meaning that if you wish to switch other than at the end of one of these periods you may have to pay a cancellation fee. You should also note that switching supplier may be more challenging if you are in arrears to your previous supplier.

When you are switching a supplier the new energy company must follow a process that includes contacting you with 24 hours of you agreeing to switch so that they can confirm you are happy with switching. Depending on where you signed you have up until 14 days in which to cancel the switching process. If you feel you have switched based on information that is not accurate you are entitled to cancel and also claim damages from the company you are switching to. For more information see below.

To resolve the situation you should write to either your old or new supplier setting out your problems and what remedy you are seeking - a return to the old supplier, or a return to the old supplier with compensation. Record your correspondence and keep a copy of all of your letters. If you do not obtain resolution within 8 weeks, or your supplier sends you a deadlock letter, you can escalate to the Energy Ombudsman, who will have the power to make an order as to the action the Energy Supplier should take and order that you be given compensation.

resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing and we can assist you in all aspects of your complaint; formulating letters, recording dialogues, and reminding you when and who to escalate to.


Choosing the best tariff for you

Changing energy supplier can be one of the easiest ways to save money on your gas and electricity bills. However with so many different deals out there it can be difficult to find the best one. There are a few different ways you can find out about better energy deals. You can:

  • visit the website of the supplier you would like to switch to or phone them to find out about their tariffs;
  • you can use an internet comparison site;
  • you may be approached by an energy supplier’s sales person on your doorstep or public place such as your local shopping centre.

Bear in mind that you should look at all of the terms and conditions of the energy deal before deciding which one will be best for you!


If you cannot resolve your issue you cannot raise your case to the Ombudsman until 8 weeks after you have first raised your complaint with your supplier, or you have received a ‘letter of deadlock’ from the company stating that they cannot resolve the issue as you have asked. Your complaint must also not be older than 9 months. For an accurate decision by the Ombudsman you should provide a detailed file of your communications and supporting documentation. In addition make sure you explain what you want as an outcome as this will help assess your case.


You will also need to find out which Ombudsman the company is a member of. resolver will be able to assist you in working out which Ombudsman you should be escalating to.


Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,878 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Changing energy supplier

Resolver covers the issue Changing Energy Supplier for 1 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m  n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z