MoneySavingExpert - Unreasonable terms & conditions
Who is your issue with?
Explains your rights to you
You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.
Helps you prepare your emails
We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.
Creates a case file for you
Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.
Lets you record all your communications
One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.
Lets you know when to escalate your complaint
If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.
If you feel the terms and conditions of the offer are unreasonable, then you should contact the firm to raise your concern. All terms and conditions should be fair and reasonable.
If not, this is potentially a case of unfair contractual terms, part of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999. This does not mean you can cancel if you don’t like the price or simply did not read the contractual terms. The regulation applies where the information was hard to understand, information was hidden or not provided until after the agreement was signed.
- Is an independent site offering consumers the best deals
- The site chooses the best deals on what is best for the consumer
- If the information is incorrect you should let them know
- The forum content is not actively monitored by MoneySavingExpert.com, but if you think any of the content is inappropriate, you should report it
Core rights background
MoneySavingExpert.com is the UK's biggest consumer website. The site's dedicated to cutting your bills and fighting your corner with journalistic research, cutting edge tools & a massive community – all focused on finding deals, saving cash & campaigning for financial justice.
MoneySavingExpert.com never charges consumers for its services, nor does it take any advertising on the site. Companies cannot pay to buy space on the site. Any top deals, best buys, tips or suggestions on the main site are purely down to journalistic research by the site.
The Forums is one of the UK's biggest social networks. It has more than 1 million members and at any one time, thousands of users are discussing ways to save, as well as supporting and motivating each other.
- The MoneySavingExpert.com website does not provide financial advice, they recommend that you do your own research to ensure it's right for your specific circumstances.
- MoneySavingExpert.com says it is not responsible for the content of websites that it refers to.
- MoneySavingExpert.com does not check the financial stability of companies
- MoneySavingExpert.com forum content is not content written or created by MoneySavingExpert.com and so they are not responsible for this content
MSE Code of Conduct
(1) MoneySavingExpert.com shall be operated in accordance with this Editorial Code and
(2) this Editorial Code shall be carried out and applied in a manner consistent with the practice, activities and operation of MoneySavingExpert.com and Martin Lewis (as the current Editor-in-Chief):
- MoneySavingExpert.com and the MoneySupermarket.com group websites shall continue to operate as separate websites.
- MoneySavingExpert.com's editorial independence and strategy of “helping the consumer” first shall prevail. The editorial stance shall remain independent from commercial objectives. The reporting lines of the editorial and commercial teams shall remain separate to maintain the independent editorial stance.
- MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief shall control all editorial decisions made in relation to MoneySavingExpert.com and its editorial strategy.
- MoneySavingExpert.com's forum shall continue to be operated in a manner consistent with current practice for the benefit of “helping the consumer” first. MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief shall control the website's forum strategy.
- MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief shall determine the design of the website together with any content, email, printed publications, reports, products, services, mobile applications and tools provided by the website from time to time ("MoneySavingExpert.com Content").
- MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief (and authorised spokespersons) may comment freely on all issues consistent with the website's role as a consumer campaigning website, regardless of whether such views differ from those of the MoneySupermarket.com group. Such comments shall be made in an objective manner consistent with MoneySavingExpert.com's strategy of “helping the consumer” first.
- MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief (and authorised spokespersons) shall be permitted to comment freely about the products and services available through the MoneySupermarket.com group. Such comments shall be made in an objective manner consistent with MoneySavingExpert.com's strategy of “helping the consumer” first.
- MoneySavingExpert.com Content shall continue to be researched, written and approved by the editorial team according to journalistic methods and in an objective manner in order to identify the money saving techniques, products and services that MoneySavingExpert.com considers to be the preferred option for users consistent with its strategy of “helping the consumer” first.
- Products and services provided by the MoneySupermarket.com group shall be assessed using the same journalistic methods as those of any other third party and, like any other third party, shall only be included on MoneySavingExpert.com where those products and services are the preferred options for users.
- Third parties (including the MoneySupermarket.com group) shall not be able to pay for or otherwise agree advertising space on MoneySavingExpert.com. Where printed guides produced by MoneySavingExpert.com are sponsored, the name of the sponsor may be noted.
- MoneySavingExpert.com shall continue to highlight to its users how it is financed. Where MoneySavingExpert.com uses an affiliate link (a link that can result in a payment to the website) it will, wherever practicable, continue to provide an alternative unpaid link to an identical product or service on the same page.
- MoneySavingExpert.com may continue to highlight and remind users (via its email or website navigation) of MoneySavingExpert.com Content that generates revenue, provided this does not impact the editorial stance which shall continue to be determined in an objective manner consistent with MoneySavingExpert.com's strategy of “helping the consumer” first. For more information, see how the site is financed.
- MoneySavingExpert.com Content and the MoneySavingExpert.com brand may only be used on MoneySupermarket.com media with the express permission of the MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief (acting reasonably). If such permission is granted, the following provisos shall apply:
o 13.1 when MoneySavingExpert.com's opinions on products or services are used, a one-click link path shall exist to the full information on MoneySavingExpert.com about those products or services; and
o 13.2 if deemed appropriate by the Editor-in-Chief, any applicable caveats shall appear directly within the copy on MoneySupermarket.com media; and
o 13.3 MoneySavingExpert.com Content and MoneySavingExpert.com brand shall be used in the same context as in the original copy on MoneySavingExpert.com; and
o 13.4 the amount of MoneySavingExpert.com Content used shall be determined by the Editor-in Chief.
- Any personal data about individual users, including contact details, (as opposed to aggregated or anonymised user behaviour data) gathered while operating MoneySavingExpert.com shall not be tracked or otherwise used by MoneySupermarket.com group (except for internal reporting, accounting or compliance purposes) without the express permission of the MoneySavingExpert.com's Editor-in-Chief and in accordance with the informed consent of the relevant user.
If MoneySavingExpert.com sends users directly to MoneySupermarket.com group's websites or the user visits MoneySupermarket.com group's websites independently, they shall be subject to MoneySupermarket.com's data protection policy.
- Any personal data about individual users, including contact details, gathered while operating MoneySavingExpert.com shall not be sold to third parties or used for the purposes of communications from MoneySupermarket.com (including via email).
Find the best rights for you
We have 3,780 pages of rights advice for you covering 6,298 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.
Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.