Self-Invested Personal Pension (SIPP) - Scheme administration issue

How does Resolver work?

Explains your rights to you

You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.

Helps you prepare your emails

We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.

Creates a case file for you

Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.

Lets you record all your communications

One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.

Lets you know when to escalate your complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.

If you believe your pension scheme has been affected by poor management or administration and that you’ve suffered distress, inconvenience, or financial damage as a result, you should use Resolver to raise your issue with the organisation that manages your pension. Your pension scheme must have an Internal Dispute Resolution process (a procedure for handling complaints) – double check with your provider to make sure.

If you are still unable to get your issue resolved, you can escalate your case to the Pensions Ombudsman. You should be aware that decisions made by the Pensions Ombudsman are final and binding to all parties.

You should know

Your rights

When you sign up to a scheme, you have the right to information about what you’ve signed up to – and you shouldn’t have to ask for it.

Your provider should tell you about:

  • The basic details of the scheme
  • The way the scheme works
  • How you can leave the scheme
  • The date the scheme will begin to pay out
  • How much you’ll have to pay
  • Exactly who is providing the scheme 

You should periodically receive a statement showing information about your contributions and the state of your pension.

You have the right to leave your scheme, and your provider should give you details of your rights and options when you choose to do so. They should do this within two months of you stopping your contributions. 

You can contribute to as many personal pension plans as you want to – provided you stay within the annual contribution limits. However, you can’t contribute to a workplace pension plan and a personal pension plan in the same year.

You will normally have the right to transfer your pension out of your previous scheme up until a year before you retire.

Who to complain to?

Depending on the nature of your complaint, your issue may need to go either the Financial Ombudsman or the Pensions Advisory Service and Pensions Ombudsman – it can get fairly complicated, but generally speaking the rules are as follows:

Complaints about personal (private) pensions and mis-sold schemes will go to the Financial Ombudsman. These include your SIPPS and Income Drawdown schemes etc. Complaints about workplace and government/state pensions go to the Pensions Advisory Service and Pensions Ombudsman.

Seems simple enough, but there's an exception. Any complaints about mismanagement or administration of a pension will go through the Pensions Advisory Service and Pensions Ombudsman – even if they're about a personal pension.

This can be confusing, but don't worry! The Financial Ombudsman and Pensions Advisory Service work together to direct your complaints to the right place. This means you'll be sure to get your issue heard, regardless of where it's sent.

Find the best rights for you

We have 4,982 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,421 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Scheme administration issue

Resolver covers the issue Scheme Administration Issue for 5 companies and organisations: