Tax Calculations - Submit a complaint

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

If you want to raise a complaint with HMRC you can use resolver, the escalation processes are temporary whilst we wait for confirmation of the process from HMRC. If you experience any issues please let us know and we can look at how we update our processes.

Resolver process is for complaints and for handling your issue. At the moment, we do not provide advice and guidance for HMRC complaints as they are complex and often change. We will be adding these later in the year.

With resolver you can call HMRC and keep a record of all your communications including your calls, so if you require proof of attempting to contact HMRC by phone and simply have not received any response with resolver you can keep a record of your call.

You should know
  •   Mark your communication as an Official Complaint to ensure it enters the complaints process.
  •   The resolver escalation processes are based on the standard escalation timescales set for a commercial ombudsman escalation process of 8 weeks from raising the complaint through to escalating to the ombudsman, as there are no set timescales for HMRC responses.
  •   HMRC has a 2-stage internal complaints process. If the issue is not resolved then you can escalate you case for independent assessment.
  •   If you reach deadlock with HMRC and want to escalate your case for independent review then let us know and we can assist.
  •   If the issue is urgent please phone HMRC use the resolver App and record a copy of your call. Remember if you intend to share the call you should let the person know. 

If you want to raise a complaint against HMRC there is not a transparent process for complaints with no published email addresses. The complaints processes and no published person responsible for complaints within HMRC and therefore we have used an initial process. We would recommend phoning if the issue is urgent. 

Resolver is there to raise complaints against with HMRC and not for day to engagement.  It is important that you mark your complaint as an official complaint.

As the Government policy is digital by default that it is reasonable that you can contact HMRC by email.

Initial Case Review

Once you raise a complaint with HMRC the will undertake an initial review of your complaint. This formal review will provide you with feedback on your issue.

Department Internal Review

If you are dissatisfied with the review undertaken by HMRC then you can choose to accept the review or if you would like to appeal you can ask for a second review of your case.

Adjudicators Office

If your issue is not resolved then you can escalate your case to the Independent Adjudicator Office.  They will provide a full and impartial assessment of the customers issue and then to make an assessment of the issue. 

HMRC will probably contact you by letter and in order to submit your case to the Adjudicator Office you should scan and submit your case to the Adjudicator.

The Adjudicator recommends that you contact them by phone or letter, we have entered the email address for the Chief Adjudicator and when you submit your case through, resolver will automatically attach your case file to the email.

Parliamentary & Health Ombudsman

If your issue cannot be resolved to your satisfaction then you have the right to escalate your case to the Parliamentary and Health Ombudsman.  Sadly you cannot send your case directly to them, but, instead you must get your MP to refer your case to the Ombudsman.

You can export your case file from resolver and send this to your MP. All MP are within resolver and so you can attached your case file to your communication through resolver. 

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,219 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,304 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Submit a complaint

Resolver covers the issue Submit A Complaint for 0 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t   u   v   w   x   y   z