Dental insurance - Refuse to payout: treatment abroad

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, needing urgent dental treatment whilst abroad can be a stressful and painful time. If you have dental insurance you can purchase extra cover so that in the event of requiring treatment outside of the UK you are covered by your private insurance. Check your policy small print carefully as there may be exclusions to the policy cover. If you haven’t opted for this add-on then you are not covered by your dental insurance policy. If possible then it may be worth contacting your insurer to see if your policy can be amended to cover you for treatment abroad prior to having any treatment abroad. You may be able to claim on your travel insurance policy (if you have one) for temporary emergency dental treatment for the relief of immediate pain although that could be subject to exclusions too.

If you have a query regarding your inability to reclaim the cost of treatment abroad then resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing to the customer service department of your insurer. Ask for an address for customer services, and write giving clear details of your case - such as what happened, when, and why you think you have been unfairly unable to claim. You should keep a copy of this letter, and send it by registered mail in order to facilitate effective escalation. If you are not happy with the outcome then as a last resort you can contact the Ombudsman, which will act as a mediator in your case. resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.
You should know
  • If you’re making a complaint about making an insurance claim rather than a mis-sold policy, check your documents to see who the “underwriter” is. You’ll need to make a complaint to that organisation.

If you cannot resolve your issue you cannot raise your case to the Ombudsman until 8 weeks after you have first raised your complaint with your supplier, or you have received a ‘letter of deadlock’ from the company stating that they cannot resolve the issue as you have asked. Your complaint must also not be older than 6 months. For an accurate decision by the Ombudsman you should provide a detailed file of your communications and supporting documentation. In addition make sure you explain what you want as an outcome as this will help assess your case.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,878 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Refuse to payout: treatment abroad

Resolver covers the issue Refuse To Payout: Treatment Abroad for 8 companies and organisations: