Three_Mobile_Broadband - Extra charges

How does Resolver work?

Explains your rights to you

You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.

Helps you prepare your emails

We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.

Creates a case file for you

Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.

Lets you record all your communications

One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.

Lets you know when to escalate your complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.

Extra charges can happen for a whole number of reasons. If you have received extra charges from Three and think you shouldn't have, then contact them via Resolver as soon as possible to rectify the issue.

If your extra charges are related to data roaming, then it’s worth knowing that as of June 2017, data roaming charges within the EU have been dropped. For the full list of Three's 'Go Roam' destinations please see this link (opens in a new window). If you think you've been charged for a service that you've cancelled, you may be entitled to a refund. However, check your service agreement carefully, as it may include cancellation charges (which the bill may include).

If your bill has increased unexpectedly, it may be related to RPI (Retail Price Index). If you joined Three or upgraded your phone or Mobile Broadband plan after 28 May 2015, your contract allows Three to increase the cost of your monthly recurring charge each May by an amount up to the January Retail Price Index (RPI) rate of inflation. The Ofcom rules state that if your operator increases the price of your contract by more than the Retail Price Index (RPI) then you shouldn't have to pay an early contract termination fee. If this happens, you may be able to exit your contract without being charged. However, this only applies if you took out your contract after 23rd January 2014 - there are no clear rules for contracts taken out before then. You may not be able to exit early without charge if your operator warned you about the price increase at the point of sale. If your operator increases the price of your contract in line with (or below) the Retail Price Index (RPI) then your existing contract termination clauses are not likely to be affected.


You should know
  • The customer services department of your mobile provider should acknowledge receipt of your issue within 14 days
  • You can take the case to an ombudsman eight weeks after you've raised your issue

What next

If you are unhappy with your dongle provider’s initial response, you should contact their customer services department via Resolver, giving clear details of your case - such as what happened, when, and why you are complaining.

Once you have submitted your information to the company, they should acknowledge your case with 14 days.

If the company does not respond to your issue, then you should raise your case to the next level. The resolver system knows the next steps to take to escalate your issue and will remind you what to do and when, so that your voice is heard and hopefully your issue is addressed.

Your case is officially registered with the company as soon as the email is delivered and so you can escalate your case to an ombudsman after 8 weeks.

If you cannot resolve the issue

If the matter is still not resolved after eight weeks or if you receive a deadlock letter, you can send your case to the ombudsman. There are two ombudsmen in the telecoms market - CISAS or Ombudsman Services. resolver knows which one to send your case to. It will package your communications and all supporting documentation and send to the ombudsman.

The ombudsman will then independently undertake an investigation of your case for free. You can still take your telephone provider to court if you still do not agree with the outcome, but only use this as a last resort.

If you need additional assistance

If you need additional advice and guidance on the issue you can contact your local Citizens Advice.

Find the best rights for you

We have 3,735 pages of rights advice for you covering 6,251 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Extra charges

Resolver covers the issue Extra Charges for 1 companies and organisations:

a   b   c   d   e   f   g   h   i   j   k   l   m   n   o   p   q   r   s   t  u   v   w   x   y   z