Universities - Dirty communal areas

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Rights guide

Universities should provide safe and good quality accommodation in their halls of residence. They must belong to one of the government approved Codes which set standards for halls of residence. You can read the codes at:

National Code - www.nationalcode.org.

If you have a complaint or believe your halls of residence does not meet the standards in the Code your first step should be to talk to your accommodation manager. Explain the situation and give them an opportunity to put things right.

Making a complaint

If the issue cannot be resolved informally, you should make a formal complaint in writing. You can do this through resolver. Include as much detail about your complaint as possible and explain how you would like it to be resolved. Include any evidence relevant to your complaint. You should raise the issue promptly, usually within 6 weeks of the issue occurring.

You may want to ask for a copy of your university’s complaints policy, which should be available on its website. The university should respond promptly to your complaint, usually within two weeks.

How resolver will help

resolver will record all your emails and phone calls automatically and for free. At each stage of the process it knows who to escalate your case to within the university and when to do this.

If you are not satisfied

If you have exhausted the university’s internal complaints procedure and you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). The OIA is free for students to use.

Fill in the OIA complaints form and send them a copy of your resolver case file. Include the Completion of Procedures letter from your university that shows you have completed their internal complaints procedure. The complaints form can be downloaded from the OIA website, www.oiahe.org.uk. You must contact the OIA within three months of receiving the Completion of Procedures letter.

If the OIA agrees with your complaint they will make recommendations to the university on what actions to take.

If you have exhausted the university’s internal complaints procedure and you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can refer your complaint to the National Codes Administrator. Write to them including details of your complaint and your resolver case file. State when you informed the university of the complaint and which section of the National Code you think has ben breached. You can read the National Code at www.nationalcode.org.

The Administrator will investigate the complaint and if necessary refer it to the Chair of Complaints Tribunal who will rule on the complaint and make recommendations. You may need to attend a tribunal hearing.

Your final option

If you believe the university has acted illegally or in breach of contract you can seek legal advice. You can also seek a judicial review of any decisions made by the OIA.

If you need additional advice

You can get help and advice on making a complaint from your local student union or your university’s student advice centre. You can also contact Citizens Advice on 08444 111 444.

If you need to submit your issue use resolver for free

We have 5,198 pages of rights advice for you covering 6,952 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Dirty communal areas

Resolver covers the issue Dirty Communal Areas for 126 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f   g  h  i  j   k  l  m  n  o  p   q  r  s  t  u  v   w   x   y  z