Universities - Discrimination - religious belief

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Rights guide: discrimination - religious belief

As a student you should expect your university to provide an environment where people are treated with dignity and respect.

If you experience discrimination at University your first step should be to talk to your personal tutor or other member of staff. Explain the situation and give them an opportunity to help you resolve the situation informally.

If you need advice

You can get help and advice from your local student union or your university’s student advice centre. Your university may also have its own harassment advice service, which can provide help and support. You should ask for a copy of your university’s harassment policy, which should be available on its website.

Making a complaint

If the issue cannot be resolved informally, you should make a formal complaint in writing, in line with your University’s procedures. You can do this through resolver. Include as much detail as possible, including dates, times and places and details of any witnesses. You should raise the issue promptly, usually within 6 weeks of the issue occurring.

How resolver will help

Resolver will record all your emails and phone calls automatically and for free. At each stage of the process it knows who to escalate your case to within the university and when to do this.

If you are not satisfied

If you have exhausted the university’s internal procedure and you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can refer your complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA). The OIA is free for students to use.

Fill in the OIA complaints form and send them a copy of your resolver case file. Include the Completion of Procedures letter from your university that shows you have completed their internal complaints procedure. The complaints form can be downloaded from the OIA website, www.oiahe.org.uk. You must contact the OIA within three months of receiving the Completion of Procedures letter.

If the OIA agrees with your complaint they will make recommendations to the university on what actions to take. They cannot award compensation to students.

Your final option

Discrimination on the grounds of disability, religious belief, sex or race can be a criminal offence. If you believe an individual or the university has acted illegally you can seek legal advice. You can also seek a judicial review of any decisions made by the OIA.

If you need any assistance or guidance regarding your issue you can contact Citizens Advice on 08444 111 444.

Submit your issue for free with resolver

We have 5,198 pages of rights advice for you covering 6,952 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Discrimination - religious belief

Resolver covers the issue Discrimination Religious Belief for 126 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f   g  h  i  j   k  l  m  n  o  p   q  r  s  t  u  v   w   x   y  z