Energy Supply - Account details problem (including address changes)

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

If you are receiving bills in another person's name, there could be a couple of causes.

Incorrect name: do they have your name down incorrectly and this is your bill? If so, you should contact the firm via Resolver and ensure it updates its records. If this is because of a previous occupant of your house, you are not liable for the debt.

Incorrect information: it may be that the information in your supplier's system is incorrect - you should contact it to ensure it is updated. We recommend you send your supplier your MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number) for your electrical meter, or your Gas Meter Point Reference Number (MPR) for your gas meter.

These are the IDs of your meter, a 21-digit or seven-digit number beginning with 'S'.

You should know
  • If you want to change any personal details, contact your supplier via Resolver and inform them of the change as soon as possible.
  • Energy companies should get back to you within two working days of receiving your complaint.
  • Be clear and focused when you raise an issue. Explain clearly what happened and what you want to achieve.
  • All energy companies have to meet high standards of service set by industry regulator Ofgem.
  • If you are unhappy with any outcome you have the right to take your case to the Energy Ombudsman (Ombudsman Services) for independent assessment. Resolver will remind you when you can escalate your case.

What next?

Once you have submitted your information to the energy company, they should acknowledge your case within two working days. Ensure you keep a copy of all communications. Resolver automatically does this for you.

What if you cannot resolve the issue?

After eight weeks you can send the case to Ombudsman Services but if the energy company sends you a 'deadlock letter' - then you can send your case file to the Ombudsman immediately. The Ombudsman Service will independently investigate your case, and resolver will remind you when you can send your case over to the Energy Ombudsman. 

You can still take your energy company to court if you do not agree with the outcome but we suggest you only use this as a last resort.

If you need to submit your issue you can use Resolver for free

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,873 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Account details problem (including address changes)

Resolver covers the issue Account Details Problem (Including Address Changes) for 246 companies and organisations: