Pet insurance - Moving home from abroad

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, many pet owners cannot face the idea of leaving a beloved pet in another country if they are moving back to the UK. Problems regarding bringing your pet into the UK can arise in two ways.

The first problems that can arise will be issues of importing an animal from another country. DEFRA (The Department for Food and Rural Affairs) has a list of restrictions and requirements for various animals which can be found on their website at You should also bear in mind requirements for vaccinations or confirmations of freedom from infectious disease that may be required by the countries which you transit through.

Once you have arrived, a further problem may arise in that it may be hard to obtain insurance for your pet if it has been brought into the UK from abroad. Your insurer, however, should be able to either insure your pet (possibly for an increased premium) or direct you towards a specialist insurer which is willing to insure pets brought in from abroad. You should bear in mind that this insurance is likely to be comparatively expensive and should be considered when deciding to bring a pet into the UK.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.
You should know
  • If you’re making a complaint about making an insurance claim rather than a mis-sold policy, check your documents to see who the “underwriter” is. You’ll need to make a complaint to that organisation.

If you cannot resolve your issue you cannot raise your case to the Ombudsman until 8 weeks after you have first raised your complaint with your insurer, or you have received a ‘letter of deadlock’ from the company stating that they cannot resolve the issue as you have asked. Your complaint must also not be older than 6 months. For an accurate decision by the Ombudsman you should provide a detailed file of your communications and supporting documentation. In addition make sure you explain what you want as an outcome as this will help assess your case.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,925 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Moving home from abroad

Resolver covers the issue Moving Home From Abroad for 65 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f   g   h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q   r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y   z