Travel insurance - Theft: property

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, having your belongings stolen while you are on holiday can be upsetting as well as costly. You should contact the local police, as you’ll need a copy of the crime report to make a claim on your travel insurance. Report the theft to your insurer as soon as possible as most travel insurance policies have strict time limits about reporting thefts of goods to the local police and will want to see a copy of the police report. Check the small print of your policy as you can normally claim the costs involved in replacing travel documents. As with baggage cover, you may choose not to take this travel insurance option if your home contents insurance already provides cover for personal money ‘away from the home’. Be aware that insurers cover stolen belongings when they have been kept in secure locations, including ‘valuables’. Check your policy small print as cover for ‘valuable’ items is subject to certain limits. There is a maximum amount – called the 'single article limit’ – that will be covered for each individual item. Your policy will cover theft from a vehicle while on holiday as long as the items have been locked out of sight in a ‘secure luggage area’ and there is evident of forcible entry into the vehicle. Also note that if you leave personal belongings unattended, policies will not cover loss. A common definition of ‘unattended’ is when the belongings cannot be seen and you are not close enough to them to prevent theft of the property. For example, your policy typically won’t cover your belongings if they are stolen when left under a towel by the side of the pool while you swim. If you have any queries regarding your claim, resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.
You should know
  • If you’re making a complaint about making an insurance claim rather than a mis-sold policy, check your documents to see who the “underwriter” is. You’ll need to make a complaint to that organisation.

If you cannot resolve your issue you cannot raise your case to the Ombudsman until 8 weeks after you have first raised your complaint with your supplier, or you have received a ‘letter of deadlock’ from the company stating that they cannot resolve the issue as you have asked. Your complaint must also not be older than 6 months. For an accurate decision by the Ombudsman you should provide a detailed file of your communications and supporting documentation. In addition make sure you explain what you want as an outcome as this will help assess your case.



Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,879 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Theft: property

Resolver covers the issue Theft: Property for 120 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k   l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u   v  w  x   y  z