Home insurance - Refusing to payout

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, not receiving a payout for items accidentally damaged can be a costly and frustrating experience. Check your policy small print very carefully; some items such as stereos and windows can be covered in your standard contents insurance. Other electrical equipment (e.g. laptops) is often not included in accidental damage cover. You can extend cover to include these items, which can be useful if you have young children – but be aware that you have to pay extra for this cover and any no claims bonus that you have accrued will be lost in the event of a claim. Other damage such as that caused by pets chewing your sofa will not be covered.

Keep a record and photographic evidence of the damage as it can be used as evidence for your insurance claim. You should contact your insurer to find out why the items are excluded from your cover as you have the right to appeal. resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing, and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to. You should retain a copy of the letter, and send all correspondence by recorded mail. Details of how to make a formal appeal will be found on your policy documents, or on your insurer's website.

If your insurer's formal appeal procedure does not yield fruit and your insurer is a member of Lloyds then you can make a complaint via the Policyholder and Market Assistance Department (of Lloyds). Otherwise, a last resort is to contact the Ombudsman, which will act as a mediator in your case. resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.

If you can't resolve your issue within 8 weeks of making your complaint (or if you've received a 'deadlock letter' or final decision from the company), you can escalate your case to the Ombudsman.

Your complaint must be under 6 months old to be escalated to the Ombudsman.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,923 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Refusing to payout

Resolver covers the issue Refusing To Payout for 164 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z