Home insurance - Damage caused by contractor

How does Resolver work?

Explains your rights to you

You'll find no legal jargon in our simple, comprehensive consumer rights sections. Our guidance is tailored specifically for every type of issue.

Helps you prepare your emails

We provide a wide range of flexible email templates for you to adapt to your needs – just slot in the specific details for your case, and in a few short clicks your issue will be ready to go.

Creates a case file for you

Your case file is a secure online location for all important documents regarding your issue. You can upload photos, tickets, copies of receipts or external emails from before you raised your issue with Resolver.

Lets you record all your communications

One of the most important aspects of a complicated issue is keeping a record of all your correspondence regarding the complaint – Resolver does this for you automatically.

Lets you know when to escalate your complaint

If you’re not satisfied with the initial response from the organisation you have an issue with, our escalation process will let you know when you can raise your complaint to the next level of seniority and, ultimately to an ombudsman or regulator, where appropriate.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, if a contractor has caused damage to your property or belongings you should first ask the contractor to repair the damage, thus saving an insurance claim and the associated premium renewal increase and loss of any no claims benefit. If they will not repair the damage then you should contact their insurer (contractors should have liability cover) and also your own insurer to inform them of the situation. At this point the the contractor and their insurer will either accept liability, in which case you will be able to ask them for money to conduct repairs or pay for repairs you have had to pay for yourself, or will dispute the cause of the damage.

If the cause of the damage is in dispute, you and the contractor might agree to get an expert opinion from someone qualified in the field, who is uninvolved in the dispute and who will put their findings in writing. You can share the cost of the report and agree in advance that you’ll be both be bound by the expert’s opinion. If the report is favourable to you, it will be useful in court if the contractor still refuses to make good the damage. If this means of settling the dispute is unavailable you may have to seek redress through the courts. The Citizen's Advice Bureau can advise you on this course of action.

Keep a record and photographic evidence of the damage as it can be used as supporting evidence. resolver recommends that you submit your concerns to each party in writing and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.
You should know
  • If you’re making a complaint about making an insurance claim rather than a mis-sold policy, check your documents to see who the “underwriter” is. You’ll need to make a complaint to that organisation.

If you cannot resolve your issue you cannot raise your case to the Ombudsman until 8 weeks after you have first raised your complaint with your supplier, or you have received a ‘letter of deadlock’ from the company stating that they cannot resolve the issue as you have asked. Your complaint must also not be older than 9 months. For an accurate decision by the Ombudsman you should provide a detailed file of your communications and supporting documentation. In addition make sure you explain what you want as an outcome as this will help assess your case.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,148 pages of rights advice for you covering 6,933 companies and organisations across 17 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Damage caused by contractor

Resolver covers the issue Damage Caused By Contractor for 147 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k   l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z