Home insurance - Damage caused by neighbouring property

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date it’s not unusual to suffer damage to your property at the hands of a neighbour - the most common neighbour-caused damage includes electricity, gas and phone lines being cut off. While you might think that if your neighbour causes damage their insurance will be responsible for putting it right, it is not always this simple and depends on the circumstances. For example, if you find a leak in your house caused by your neighbour, their home insurance policy not pay out if the cause of the damage is poor maintenance of their home. So unless your neighbour agrees to pay out of their own pocket, you may have to try to claim on your own home policy.

Home insurance policies contain “insured perils” which refers to events such as fire and flood. If the cause of the damage can be attributed to an “insured peril” then you may be able to claim. You should check whether your policy has accidental damage cover which may cover this sort of situation. If your insurer or theirs refuses your claim, then there are other avenues you can explore. If talks with your neighbour fail, then you can utilise legal expenses cover if you have that as part of your home insurance – check your policy carefully. This could cover the cost of taking legal action against your neighbour. This will enable you to litigate against your neighbour personally to recover the damages he has caused you. Keep a record and photographic evidence of the damage as it can be used as evidence for your insurance claim.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.

If you can't resolve your issue within 8 weeks of making your complaint (or if you've received a 'deadlock letter' or final decision from the company), you can escalate your case to the Ombudsman.

Your complaint has to be less than 9 months old to be escalated to the Ombudsman.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,216 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,115 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Damage caused by neighbouring property

Resolver covers the issue Damage Caused By Neighbouring Property for 155 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k   l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z