Home insurance - Problems after possessions stolen

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, burglary is one of the most common types of crime. Home insurance can give you some peace of mind during this stressful event. If you are broken into and have possessions stolen you should phone the police who will issue you with a crime reference number. You should contact your insurer as soon as possible – some companies have a 24-hour claims hotline – check your policy for details.

When taking out insurance it’s a good idea to go through each room of your home and record all your contents with the current value. Having an inventory of your home contents will help you enormously in the event of any claim. You should make sure that your sum insured is sufficient to replace all the contents as new at current prices, with no allowance for depreciation and wear and tear. You might want to take photographs and log serial numbers of your ‘valuables’. ‘Valuables’ are items composed of precious metal or precious stones, jewellery, watches, furs, curios and works of art, computer equipment, money or portable electrical equipment other than televisions or radios, and these need to be specified on your insurance certificate in order to be covered up to a certain amount.

If you have made such an inventory then it will be easier to assess what has been stolen. You should inform the police and your insurer about these items. You will need to give this inventory to your appointed loss adjustor, who will mediate between you and your insurer throughout the duration of your claim. If the insurance claim is successful bear in mind that you will have to pay the excess you agreed when taking out the policy.

If there has been any damage to your windows/doors etc due to forced entry and you wish to claim for it on your household insurance, remember you will have to pay the excess and use a repair company approved by your insurer. It might work out cheaper to pay out of pocket to get the repairs done, rather than paying the excess. Be aware that by making a claim on your insurance, your renewal premium will most likely increase and you may lose any no claims bonus you have accrued.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.

If you can't resolve your issue within 8 weeks of making your complaint (or if you've received a 'deadlock letter' or final decision from the company), you can escalate your case to the Ombudsman.

Your complaint must be under 6 months old to be escalated to the Ombudsman.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,873 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Problems after possessions stolen

Resolver covers the issue Problems After Possessions Stolen for 164 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z