Home insurance - Problems after home damaged by fire

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver’s experience to date, there are few things more terrifying and potentially dangerous than a fire – insurance might cover the damage to property, but it won't help with the emotional distress caused by having your home damaged by fire. If the fire brigade has been involved you will have a fire report number that you should give to your insurer upon contacting them. Your buildings and contents insurance will cover the damage and loss - make sure you report your claim to both buildings and contents insurer if they are different. Start to draw up a list of contents in damaged areas to aid your claim's processing.

If you are unable to return to your home and you can’t stay with friends or relatives your insurance company may cover the cost of bed and breakfast or hotel accommodation. If you are going to be out of your property for some time you may want to find rented accommodation. Local housing agencies will have a list of accommodation. Most insurance companies will be able to give you an emergency payment to cover items for everyday living such as clothing - this will be taken off the final settlement. Make sure you keep in contact with your insurance company regularly to make sure the work carried out is covered by your policy. Don’t be tempted to dispose of items that appear to be beyond repair until you have agreed this with your loss adjuster.

Your insurers will give you advice and may have a list of companies they deal with to help you and make the whole process as stress-free as possible. Be aware that by making a claim on your insurance, your renewal premiums will most likely increase and you will lose any no claims bonuses you may have accrued. resolver recommends that you submit any concerns to your insurer in writing and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.

If you can't resolve your issue within 8 weeks of making your complaint (or if you've received a 'deadlock letter' or final decision from the company), you can escalate your case to the Ombudsman.

Your complaint must be under 6 months old to be escalated to the Ombudsman.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,115 pages of rights advice for you covering 10,873 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Problems after home damaged by fire

Resolver covers the issue Problems After Home Damaged By Fire for 164 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k  l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z