Ukraine is in crisis, please donate right now if you can.

Home insurance - Undervalued lost/stolen property

How does Resolver work?

Free forever

Resolver is free. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.

Know your rights

There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.

Get your voice heard

You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.

Based on resolver's experience to date, the undervaluing the payout for lost or stolen property can occur in two ways. The first way will simply be that your home insurer has underestimated the value of the property stolen. This can be easily remedied by writing a letter to your insurer setting out the items of property that were lost and attaching receipts or like-for-like quotes for each item to the letter. You may have to evidence the items that were lost or stolen (using a police report) and you should be aware that in some situations your insurer will decrement the value of the property lost (if it is old) compared to a new version of the same as that piece of property will have depreciated. This should effectively remedy your complaint; if not, use can be made of the complaints and escalation procedure below.

Another way in which your lost or stolen items can be undervalued is if your cover is inadequate. Home insurance policies will have a maximum payout available for any single item, and for many expensive items (e.g. jewellery, art or curios) the item will not be insured unless it is separately listed upon the policy. In order to avoid being caught by this you should familiarise yourself with the cap on your policy and the terms and conditions of your policy and ensure that any items which need to be listed separately are.

In the event that you believe that you have been treated unfairly or misled then you should contact your insurer to ask why your payout has been limited, as you have the right to appeal. resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing, and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to. You should retain a copy of the letter, and send all correspondence by recorded mail. Details of how to make a formal appeal will be found on your policy documents, or on your insurer's website. Otherwise, a last resort is to contact the Ombudsman, which will act as a mediator in your case. resolver recommends that you submit your concern in writing and resolver can assist you in submitting, recording and reminding you when and who to escalate to.

Resolver can help you resolve this issue quickly, free of charge and without the hassle. We can also help you with the next step of writing your complaint. Click on the link below to create your email.

If you can't resolve your issue within 8 weeks of making your complaint (or if you've received a 'deadlock letter' or final decision from the company), you can escalate your case to the Ombudsman.

Your complaint has to be less than 9 months old to be escalated to the Ombudsman.

Find the best rights for you

We have 5,219 pages of rights advice for you covering 7,117 companies and organisations across 16 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.

Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.

Who do you have an issue with?

Raise it for free via Resolver

Helping you with Undervalued lost/stolen property

Resolver covers the issue Undervalued Lost/Stolen Property for 156 companies and organisations:

a  b  c  d  e  f  g  h  i  j  k   l  m  n  o  p  q  r  s  t  u  v  w  x   y  z